GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Nineteenth Week: Sunday*
*Gospel : Mt 14: 22-33*
*First Reading : 1 Kings : 19: 9, 11-13*
*Responsorial Psalm : 85: 9-14*
*Second Reading : Romans 9:1-5*
*Life Is Like Peter’s Walk on the Water*
*1) The Boat – Our Zone of Security*
The boat represents what makes us feel safe and secure.
For Peter, the boat meant:
Familiar surroundings
The company of the other disciples
Something he could hold on to
Protection from the deep water
In our life, the boat can be:
Our family and relationships
Our job and financial security
Our education and qualifications
Our position and reputation
Our comfort zone
Our plans and calculations
There is nothing wrong with the boat. But sometimes Jesus calls us to step beyond what is comfortable and familiar. Faith begins where our calculations end.
*2) The Travel – The Journey of Life*
The disciples were crossing to the other side. Life is also a journey. We are not meant to remain where we are.
We travel:
From childhood to adulthood
From dependence to responsibility
From learning to serving
From fear to courage
From selfishness to generosity
From weakness to maturity
From ordinary faith to deeper faith
The important thing is that Jesus does not promise a journey without storms. He promises His presence in the journey.
*3) The Waves – The Problems We Cannot Control*
The boat was being battered by the waves.
The waves of today can be:
Family problems
Financial difficulties
Failure and disappointment
Sickness and suffering
Loneliness
Anxiety about the future
Conflicts and misunderstandings
Temptations
Social pressure
Uncertainty about career and vocation
Loss of a loved one
Challenges in ministry and relationships
The waves are part of life. The presence of waves does not mean the absence of God.
Sometimes we think: “If God is with me, why am I facing so many problems?”
Peter's experience gives us the answer: Jesus was with the disciples even while the storm was raging.
*4) Peter Heard: “Come!”*
Peter did something extraordinary. He did not simply admire Jesus from the boat. He said: “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
Jesus gave only one word: “Come.” Peter stepped out. This is the moment of faith.
Faith is not merely believing that Jesus can walk on water.
Faith is saying: “Because Jesus has called me, I will take the next step.”
Sometimes Jesus says “Come” to us through: A new responsibility, A difficult decision, A vocation, An opportunity to serve, Forgiveness, Reconciliation, A challenge, A call to leave an unhealthy attachment, A call to trust Him in uncertainty.
*5) Peter Walked – Faith Requires a Step*
Peter actually walked on the water. This is important.
Faith is not merely a feeling. Faith requires action.
We may say: “I trust God.” “I believe in Jesus.” “God will take care of me.”
But eventually we have to step out. Peter's first step was courageous.
The lesson: You cannot discover what God can do through you while remaining permanently inside the boat.
*6) Peter Looked at the Wind – and Began to Sink*
This is where Peter's experience becomes very human.
As long as he looked toward Jesus, he walked. But when he became conscious of the strong wind, he became afraid.
His attention shifted: Jesus → Waves → Fear. And he began to sink.
This happens in our lives too. When we focus on:
Problems instead of God's presence
Fear instead of faith
Criticism instead of calling
Failure instead of possibility
Obstacles instead of God's power
we begin to sink emotionally and spiritually.
A powerful reflection: What we focus on determines what controls us.
The waves may be real, but Jesus is more real than the waves.
*7) Peter's Most Important Prayer: “Lord, Save Me!”*
Peter failed—but he knew where to turn.
He cried: “Lord, save me!”
It is one of the shortest prayers in the Gospel, but one of the most powerful.
Sometimes our prayer does not need many words.
When: We cannot solve the problem, We don't know what to do, Our strength is exhausted, Everything seems to be collapsing, we can simply say: “Lord, save me.” And Jesus responds.
*8) Jesus' Response to Peter*
The response of Jesus is beautiful: “Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him.”
Notice the word: *IMMEDIATELY*. Jesus did not wait for Peter to become perfect.
Jesus did not say: “First become strong, then I will help you.” He reached out while Peter was sinking.
This tells us something profound: Jesus does not abandon us when our faith becomes weak. He catches us.
*9) But Jesus Also Asked: “Why Did You Doubt?”*
Jesus saved Peter, but He also challenged him: “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”
Jesus' response contains both: Compassion and Correction
He says, in effect: “I will save you—but I also want you to grow.”
Jesus does not merely rescue us from every difficulty.
Sometimes He uses the difficulty to strengthen our faith.
*10) What Is the “Boat” in Our Present Life?*
The boat can be our comfort zone.
Ask yourself: What is my boat?
Maybe it is:
“I don't want to take risks.”
“I am comfortable where I am.”
“I don't want to forgive.”
“I am afraid of failure.”
“I don't want to accept responsibility.”
“I don't want to change.”
“I prefer security to mission.”
“I will serve only when it is convenient.”
Sometimes Jesus is saying: “Come out of the boat.”
*11) What Are the “Waves” Today?*
The waves are everything that threatens our peace and faith.
For a young person: exams, career, relationships, peer pressure and future uncertainty.
For parents: children, finances, family responsibilities and worries about the future.
For teachers: responsibility, changing educational demands and the challenges of guiding young people.
For pastoral workers: people's problems, lack of cooperation, tiredness, criticism and discouragement.
For everyone: fear, failure, loneliness, suffering and uncertainty.
But remember: The size of the wave is not the measure of God's power.
*12) What Is the “Water”?*
The water represents the place where we cannot completely depend upon ourselves.
Walking on land is natural.
Walking on water is impossible by ordinary human strength.
Therefore, the water represents situations where we must say: “Lord, I cannot do this by myself. I need You.”
Sometimes God allows us to enter situations where our own strength is insufficient so that we discover His strength.
*13) Peter's Three Movements*
Peter's story can be understood in three movements:
*A) COME : Jesus calls.
*B) WALK : Peter responds in faith.
*C) CRY : Peter falls and asks for help.
And Jesus responds: CATCH
Jesus calls → Peter walks → Peter falls → Jesus catches.
That is often the story of our own spiritual life.
Sometimes Jesus does not calm the storm immediately because He wants to teach us how to walk with Him in the storm.
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment