Friday, August 21, 2026

Moses' Seat

GOSPEL THOUGHTS

*Ordinary Season : Twentieth Week:  Saturday*

*Gospel :  Mt 23: 1-12*

*First Reading : Ez 43: 1-7*

*Responsorial Psalm : 85: 9-14*

*Moses' Seat*

*1) What does “Moses’ seat” mean?*

Moses was the great teacher and lawgiver of Israel. To “sit on Moses’ seat” means to occupy a position of religious authority and responsibility.

The interesting point is that Jesus says: “Therefore do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do.” (Mt 23:3)

So Jesus makes a distinction between the teaching and the teacher’s life.
The teaching may be correct, but the person teaching it may fail to live according to it.

*2) Authority is a responsibility, not a privilege*

The Pharisees were sitting on the “seat” of authority, but Jesus challenges the way they used that authority.
A position of authority is not given primarily for status, recognition or power. It is given for service.

This applies to:

Parents
Teachers
Priests and religious leaders
Parish leaders
Political leaders
Social workers
Those responsible for children and youth

The higher the seat, the greater the responsibility.

*3) “Sitting on Moses’ seat” but not walking Moses’ path*

This is perhaps the most challenging reflection.

A person can occupy a holy position without having a holy life.
A teacher can teach values but fail to practice them.
A parent can teach children to pray but never pray personally.
A parish leader can speak about unity but create divisions.
A preacher can speak about forgiveness but refuse to forgive.
A Christian can speak beautifully about love while treating others without love.

The danger is: “I teach what is right, but I do not live what I teach.”

*4) The gap between the seat and the life*

The Pharisees had a seat, but Jesus was concerned about their lifestyle.

We can ask ourselves: Is there a distance between my position and my practice?

My words say one thing; does my life say the same?
I teach children to be honest; am I honest?
I ask others to forgive; do I forgive?
I speak about humility; am I humble?
I expect commitment from others; am I committed?
I ask others to respect the Church; do I respect people?

The real Christian witness begins when what we teach and what we live become one.

*5) Every “seat” becomes a test of character*

“Moses’ seat” can be understood symbolically as any position entrusted to us.

A father or mother has a “seat” in the family.
A teacher has a “seat” in the classroom.
A priest has a “seat” in the parish.
A leader has a “seat” in an organization.
An elder has a “seat” in the community.

The question is not: “What position do I have?” but: “How am I using the position entrusted to me?”

*6) Authority without example loses credibility*

People may listen to our words for a while, but they ultimately watch our lives.

A teacher's life can become a lesson.
A parent's life can become a catechism.
A priest's life can become a homily.
A leader's life can become a message.

Therefore: Our example often speaks louder than our authority.

*7) Jesus Himself gives the opposite model*

The Pharisees “sit” in authority, but Jesus walks among the people and serves them.

Jesus does not say: “I am your Master, therefore serve me.”
He shows: “I am your Master, therefore I serve you.”

This is the Christian transformation of authority:

Authority → Service
Position → Responsibility
Leadership → Example
Power → Love
Seat → Service

“Am I only sitting on Moses’ seat, or am I also walking in Moses’ path?”
“What I teach with my lips—do I practice with my life?”

God is not impressed merely by the seat we occupy; He looks at the life we live from that seat.

*Think about it*

*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*

*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moses' Seat

GOSPEL THOUGHTS *Ordinary Season : Twentieth Week:  Saturday* *Gospel :  Mt 23: 1-12* *First Reading : Ez 43: 1-7* *Responsorial Psalm : 85:...