GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Twentieth Week: Tuesday*
*Gospel : Mt 19:23-30*
*First Reading : Ez 28: 1-10*
*Responsorial Psalm : Deuteronomy 32: 26:36*
*Riches : A Hurdle or Blessing to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven*
*1) Why can riches become a hurdle to the Kingdom?*
Jesus does not say that every rich person is excluded from the Kingdom. He says it is difficult because wealth can create attitudes that are opposed to the spirit of the Kingdom.
Riches can become a hurdle when:
*Possessions create self-sufficiency*: “I have everything; I do not need God.”
*Wealth creates false security*: Money can make a person trust in bank accounts, property and resources rather than in God.
*Possessions create attachment*: We may possess things, but gradually the things begin to possess us.
*Wealth can reduce compassion*: When our comfort becomes more important than another person's suffering, riches become spiritually dangerous.
*Riches can produce pride*: “I am successful because I am better than others.”
*Wealth can create inequality*: A person may become indifferent to the needs of the poor.
*Possessions can consume our attention*: Earning, protecting and increasing wealth can leave little space for prayer, relationships and service.
*Riches can make sacrifice difficult*: The Kingdom requires generosity, sharing and self-giving.
*2) Is Jesus against material possessions?*
No. The Bible does not teach that material possessions are evil in themselves.
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job and others possessed considerable wealth. The problem is not “How much do I possess?” but “What place do my possessions occupy in my life?”
The question is: Do I possess my possessions, or do my possessions possess me?
A wealthy person who uses wealth responsibly, generously and for the good of others can live according to the Gospel. A person with very little material wealth can nevertheless be deeply attached to money, status, power or possessions.
Therefore, the teaching is fundamentally about the heart.
*3) What does “riches” really mean?*
“Riches” can certainly mean material wealth—money, property, land, business, vehicles, investments, luxury and possessions.
But the Gospel invites us to look deeper. There are many forms of riches.
*A) Material riches* : Money, property, possessions, savings, business and luxury.
*B) Intellectual riches* : Knowledge, education, intelligence and expertise. These become dangerous when we say: “I know more than everyone else. Therefore, I do not need to learn from anyone.”
*C) Social riches* : Family background, friendships, influence, connections and reputation. These become dangerous when we use relationships to control or dominate others.
*D) Power and position* : Authority, leadership, office and status can become another form of wealth. The danger is: “I am important because of my position.”
*E) Spiritual riches* : Even religious achievements can become a form of spiritual pride: “I pray more than others.” “I know the Bible better.” “I have served the Church for many years.” “I am more faithful than others.” We can even become “rich in religion” but poor in humility.
*F) Richness of self* : This may be the deepest form. A person can become so full of self-confidence, self-importance, ego and personal plans that there is no room for God. Thus, the greatest obstacle may not be a full bank account but a full heart.
*4) The rich young man is a powerful example*
Just before today's passage, the rich young man asks Jesus what he must do to have eternal life.
He has many good qualities:
He knows the commandments.
He has kept them.
He desires eternal life.
He approaches Jesus sincerely.
But Jesus says: “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor... then come, follow me.” (Mt 19:21)
The young man goes away sorrowfully because he has many possessions.
The tragedy is not simply that he has possessions.
The tragedy is that he cannot let go of them when Jesus asks him to do so.
His possessions have become more important than his relationship with Jesus.
A profound question emerges: What is the one thing I cannot surrender even when God asks me to? That may reveal our real “riches.”
*5) Riches can give us the illusion of control*
One reason wealth becomes a hurdle is that it can create the illusion: “I can manage everything myself.”
Money can provide: comfort, security, influence, opportunities, independence.
But the Kingdom begins with the recognition: “I am dependent on God.”
The rich person may unconsciously say: “I have enough.”
The disciple says: “Lord, I need you.”
That is why Jesus says: “For mortals it is impossible, but for God all things are possible.” (Mt 19:26)
Entrance into the Kingdom is ultimately grace, not something we purchase through our achievements or possessions.
*6) Riches can change the meaning of life*
There is a danger of moving from: “I have money” to “I am worth what I have.” Then possessions become identity.
A person begins to measure life by: salary + property + car + status + achievements + followers + influence.
But Jesus asks us to measure life differently: faith + love + compassion + generosity + humility + service + relationship with God.
The Gospel changes the question from: “How much do I have?” to “How much am I willing to give?”
*7) The Kingdom requires empty hands*
There is a beautiful spiritual paradox here.
Hands that are tightly closed around possessions cannot easily receive God's gifts.
If my hands are full of: money, pride, ambition, power, resentment, status, self-importance, there may be little room to receive God.
The Gospel invites us to open our hands. Open hands can: receive from God, give to the poor, forgive others, share with those in need, serve without expecting recognition.
*8) The opposite of riches is not poverty alone—it is detachment*
A person can be materially rich and spiritually detached.
A person can be materially poor and spiritually greedy.
Therefore, the Christian virtue is detachment.
Detachment means:
I can possess things without allowing things to possess me.
I can have money without worshipping money.
I can have authority without becoming proud.
I can have knowledge without becoming arrogant.
I can have success without forgetting God.
I can have possessions without forgetting the poor.
I can have influence without controlling others.
*9) “The danger is not what is in our hands but what is in our heart.”*
Two people may have the same amount of money.
One says: “Everything I have is God's gift; how can I use it for others?”
The other says: “Everything I have is mine; nobody has a right to it.”
The external possession is similar, but the spiritual attitude is completely different.
Therefore, Jesus is asking us to examine ownership, attachment and stewardship.
*10) “The Kingdom of Heaven cannot be bought”*
Riches can buy many things: a house, education, medicine, comfort, travel, influence, opportunities.
But riches cannot buy: forgiveness, peace of heart, genuine love, eternal life, God's grace.
This is why Jesus redirects our attention from acquiring to following.
The rich young man asks: “What must I do?”
Jesus ultimately calls him: “Come, follow me.”
Christianity is not primarily about possessing the right things.
It is about belonging to the right Person—Jesus Christ.
The greatest poverty is not having nothing. The greatest poverty is having everything but having no room for God.
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment