GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Twenty Fourth Week: Saturday*
*Gospel : Luke 8:4-15*
*First Reading : 1 Cor 15:35-37; 42-49*
*Responsorial Psalm : 56: 10-14*
*Devil on the Footpath*
*1) Why Does Jesus Mention the Devil Only at the Footpath?*
The seed on the footpath is exposed. The farmer throws the seed. It lands on the hard path. It cannot enter the soil. Therefore, the birds can easily pick it up.
Jesus explains: “The devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts.” (Lk 8:12)
The important point is not that the devil has no role in other temptations. Rather, Jesus specifically identifies the devil as the one who removes the Word before it takes root.
The devil does not always need to destroy our faith. Sometimes he only needs to prevent the Word from entering.
He doesn't necessarily have to make us hate the Bible.
He can simply make us ignore it.
He can make us hear the Gospel and immediately move on.
He can make us say:
“That is for someone else.”
“I already know this.”
“I will think about it later.”
“I don't have time.”
“The homily was good, but…”
The seed never reaches the heart.
*2) Why Does the Devil Concentrate on the Footpath?*
Because the footpath is the easiest place to steal the seed.
A seed buried in the soil is difficult to remove.
A seed lying on the surface is easy to take.
What remains only on the surface can easily be stolen. What enters deeply becomes difficult to remove.
A Gospel heard only with the ears can disappear.
A Gospel received by the heart can change a life.
A Gospel practiced becomes a habit.
A Gospel lived becomes a witness.
*3) How Does the Footpath Develop in Our Life?*
The footpath is not necessarily created in one day. A path becomes hard because people repeatedly walk over it.
Spiritually, our hearts can also become hard through repeated patterns.
For example: One compromise → another compromise → another compromise → eventually the heart becomes a footpath.
The Word says: “Forgive.” We say, “Not this person.”
The Word says: “Pray.” We say, “I am too busy.”
The Word says: “Love your enemy.” We say, “He doesn't deserve it.”
The Word says: “Do not judge.” We say, “But I know what kind of person he is.”
Every time we deliberately walk over the Word, the heart becomes harder.
*4) The Other Three Levels of Problems*
*A). Rocky Ground — The Problem of Shallowness*
Here the Word is received, but there is no depth.
Jesus says they believe for a while, but when testing comes, they fall away.
This is the faith of: “I like Jesus when everything is fine.”
But when suffering comes: “Where is God?”
The problem here is not rejection. It is lack of roots.
A faith that has no roots cannot survive a storm.
*B) Thorny Ground — The Problem of Competition*
The Word enters, but other things grow alongside it.
Jesus names: worries, riches, pleasures of life.
The Word is not rejected. It is crowded.
This may be one of the most common problems today.
We don't say: “I don't want God.” We simply say: “I am busy.”
Busy with: money, career, entertainment, social media, possessions, anxiety, success, comfort.
The Word remains inside us, but it cannot breathe.
The devil does not always have to remove the Word; sometimes the world simply gives us too many things to think about.
*C) Good Soil — The Problem Is No Longer the Seed*
Notice something beautiful:
The seed is the same.
The farmer is the same.
The Word is the same.
What changes is the soil.
Therefore, the question is not: “Is God's Word powerful?”
The question is: “What kind of soil is my heart today?”
*5) ow Can We Be Careful About the Footpath?*
We must protect the first moment after hearing God's Word. That is the vulnerable moment.
Suppose today's Gospel gives you one particular message.
Immediately afterward, ask: “What is God asking me to do with this Word?” Then do one small thing.
For example: Word: “Forgive.” → Make one phone call.
Word: “Pray.” → Spend five minutes in prayer.
Word: “Help the poor.” → Help one person.
Word: “Do not judge.” → Stop one negative conversation.
Word: “Love.” → Perform one act of kindness.
The moment the Word is acted upon, the seed begins to enter the soil.
*6) A Powerful Image: Footpath vs Garden*
A footpath is a place where people walk over the ground.
A garden is a place where things are allowed to grow.
So we can ask: Is my heart a footpath where God's Word is walked over, or a garden where God's Word is allowed to grow?
That could become the central theme of the reflection.
*7) “The Devil Attacks the Word Before the Word Attacks Him”*
The devil knows the power of the seed.
He knows that: Word → Faith → Conversion → Action → Fruit → Witness
Therefore, the easiest strategy is: Stop the seed before it starts growing.
If the Word never enters the heart, there is no need to fight the fruit.
This is why distraction immediately after hearing God's Word can be spiritually significant.
We hear the Gospel. Then immediately: Phone, Conversation, News, Worries, Entertainment, Rushing to the next activity
And the seed disappears.
*8) Three Questions for Daily Examination*
After every Gospel reading, we could ask:
Did I hear the Word? Or was I physically present but mentally somewhere else?
Did I receive the Word? Or did I immediately explain why it applies to somebody else?
Did I practise the Word? Or did I leave the church with a beautiful thought but no change?
This moves us from: Hearing → Receiving → Practicing → Bearing fruit.
*9) Points to Ponder*
The devil cannot stop the farmer from sowing, but he tries to stop the seed from entering the soil.
The greatest danger is not always rejecting God's Word; sometimes it is allowing God's Word to remain only on the surface.
A hard heart is like a footpath: many things have passed over it, but nothing is allowed to grow in it.
The devil likes a superficial Christian because superficial faith has no roots.
The seed is not weak; the soil is the problem. God's Word has power, but the heart must give it space.
The footpath represents the Word that is heard but never entered, remembered but never practised, admired but never obeyed.
A single Gospel sentence can change a life—if we don't allow it to be stolen before it reaches the heart.
Don't ask only, “What did today's Gospel say?” Ask, “What will I do because today's Gospel spoke to me?”
The rocky heart says, “I believe when life is easy.” The thorny heart says, “I believe, but I have too many other priorities.” The footpath heart says, “I heard it, but I will not let it enter.” The good heart says, “I heard, I received, I persevered, and I produced fruit.”
“The devil may try to steal the seed from the footpath, but we can prevent him by opening the soil of our hearts. Let today's Gospel not remain on our ears; let it enter our hearts, take root in our lives, and become fruit for others.”
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment