Thursday, September 10, 2026

Reversal of Camera for Self Mode

GOSPEL THOUGHTS

*Ordinary Season : Twenty Third Week:  Friday*

*Gospel :  Luke 6: 39-42*

*First Reading : 1 Cor 9:16-19; 22-27*

*Responsorial Psalm : 84: 3-12*

*Reversal of Camera for Self Mode* 

*1) The Reversal of the Camera — “Turn the Camera Towards Yourself”*

Normally, when we take a photograph, the camera is pointed outward. We see other people, other situations and other people's mistakes.

Jesus reverses the camera: “Why do you see the speck in your neighbour’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye?” (Lk 6:41)

The Gospel is asking us to turn the camera inward.
Instead of asking, “What is wrong with him?” ask, “What is wrong with me?”
Instead of “Why is she behaving like that?” ask, “How am I behaving?”
Instead of correcting everybody, examine myself first.
Instead of becoming a critic, become a person of self-examination.

A camera turned outward shows the faults of others.
A camera turned inward reveals the truth about ourselves.

Jesus is not asking us to stop correcting others; He is asking us to begin with ourselves.

*2) The Selfie Mode — “Look at Yourself Before You Look at Others”*

A selfie camera has a powerful spiritual lesson.
When we take a selfie, we don't first check the face of the person standing beside us. We check our own face.
Jesus is inviting us to enter a kind of spiritual selfie mode.

Before saying: “You have a problem.” Ask: “Do I have the same problem?”
Before saying: “You are impatient.” Ask: “Am I patient?”
Before saying: “You don't forgive.” Ask: “Do I forgive?”
Before saying: “You are proud.” Ask: “Is there pride in me?”
This is the difference between self-examination and criticism.

*3) The danger of “spiritual selfie mode”*

There is also another side. Sometimes we take a selfie because we want to look good, not because we want to see the truth.

Likewise, we can examine ourselves selectively:
“I am good in this… I am generous… I pray… I help people…”
But Jesus asks us to look honestly at the “log” in our own eye.
A true spiritual selfie does not show me what I want to see. It shows me what I need to see.

*4) Blind Leading the Blind — “When I Cannot See Myself, I Cannot Guide Others”*

Jesus says: “Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit?”
The problem is not simply physical blindness. Jesus is speaking about spiritual blindness.
A person can have perfect eyesight and still be spiritually blind.

We become blind when:
we see everybody's faults but not our own;
we give advice but don't follow it ourselves;
we demand forgiveness but refuse to forgive;
we demand honesty but hide our own mistakes;
we condemn anger in others but justify our own anger;
we expect discipline from others but excuse ourselves.

Such a person may be leading, but is not necessarily guiding.
A powerful line: “A blind leader does not merely lose his way; he can make others lose their way.”
Therefore, before I become someone's guide, I must ask: “Am I seeing clearly?”

*5) The “Camera Problem” — We Often Zoom In on Others*

Modern cameras allow us to zoom in. Sometimes our spiritual life is exactly like that.

We zoom in on:
one mistake of our neighbour;
one wrong word of our spouse;
one weakness of our child;
one failure of a parishioner;
one mistake of a colleague.

But when it comes to ourselves, suddenly the camera becomes blurred!
Jesus says: “Remove the log from your own eye.”
In other words: “Don't use a magnifying glass for your neighbour and a blindfold for yourself.”

*6) From Selfie to Self-Examination*

There is a beautiful movement in this Gospel: Camera → Selfie → Examination → Correction → Guidance

First, turn the camera toward yourself. Then, see yourself honestly.
Then, remove your own log. Only then can you say: “Let me help you remove the speck from your eye.”
This is important: Jesus does not say, “Never help your brother.”
He says, in effect: First remove your own log; then you will see clearly enough to help your brother.

*7) The Deep Spiritual Lesson*

The speck and the log are not necessarily two completely different sins.
Sometimes the very thing that irritates us in another person is something that exists in a different form within ourselves.

For example: 
The impatient person complains about others being impatient.
The gossip complains about other people's gossip.
The proud person notices everybody else's pride.
The judgmental person complains that others are judgmental.

Therefore: What irritates me most in others may sometimes reveal something I need to examine in myself. It is a powerful invitation to humility.

*8) Three kinds of blindness*

We can develop Jesus' teaching into three levels:

*A) Blind eyes* : “I don't see the problem.” This is ignorance.

*B) Blind mind* : “I see the problem, but I don't understand it correctly.” This is lack of wisdom.

*C) Blind heart* : “I know what is wrong, but I don't want to change.” This is the most dangerous blindness.
The third kind can produce hypocrisy.

*9) “The danger of an unexamined leader”*

A person who does not examine himself can become dangerous to others.
A father who never examines his anger may pass anger to his children.
A teacher who never examines prejudice may pass prejudice to students.
A leader who never examines his ambition may turn leadership into control.
A preacher who never examines his own life may preach beautiful words without personal witness.
Therefore: Self-examination is not weakness; it is a condition for authentic leadership.

“Before I correct another person's picture, let me first look honestly at my own.”

*Think about it*

*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*

*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reversal of Camera for Self Mode

GOSPEL THOUGHTS *Ordinary Season : Twenty Third Week:  Friday* *Gospel :  Luke 6: 39-42* *First Reading : 1 Cor 9:16-19; 22-27* *Responsoria...