GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Twenty Sixth Week: Sunday*
*Gospel : Mt 21:28-32*
*First Reading : Ez 18:25-28*
*Responsorial Psalm : 25: 4-9*
*Second Reading : 2:1-11*
*Sinners in Heaven*
*1) The first son said “No,” but later said “Yes”*
The father said, “Son, go and work in the vineyard today.” The son answered, “I will not.” But later he changed his mind and went.
This is the story of many sinners.
They may have said “No” to God through their lifestyle, choices or mistakes. But one day they experience conversion and say, “Yes, Lord.”
A delayed Yes is still a Yes. The door of God's Kingdom is not closed because our first answer was wrong.
*2) The second son said “Yes,” but never went*
The second son said, “Certainly, sir,” but did not go.
This represents people whose words are religious but whose lives are not.
They say: “I believe in God.” “I go to church.” “I pray.” “I know the Bible.” “I am a good Christian.”
But the real question is: Does my life say “Yes” to God?
Jesus is warning us against a Christianity that exists only in words.
*3) Why tax collectors and prostitutes?*
In Jesus' time, tax collectors were often despised because they were associated with exploitation and collaboration with the Roman system. Prostitutes were publicly regarded as immoral. Yet Jesus says that many of them believed John's message and repented.
The important word is “repented.”
Jesus is not saying: “Sin is acceptable.”
He is saying: “No sinner is beyond conversion.”
A person who has fallen badly but sincerely turns toward God may be spiritually closer to the Kingdom than someone who looks religious but refuses to change.
*4) The shocking logic: God looks at the direction of the person*
Imagine two people walking.
One has walked 10 kilometres in the wrong direction but suddenly turns around and begins walking toward home.
The other has walked only one kilometre but continues confidently in the wrong direction.
Who is moving toward home? The first.
Similarly, God does not look only at where we have been. He also looks at where we are turning.
A sinner who turns toward God is on the road to the Kingdom.
*5) “First” does not necessarily mean “better”*
Jesus says they will enter “ahead of you.” This is important.
He is not creating a new hierarchy: “Prostitutes are better than religious people.”
Rather, He is confronting the religious leaders because they had received God's invitation but refused to respond.
The tragedy is not that the sinner has fallen.
The greater tragedy is: The sinner refuses to get up.
And another tragedy is: The righteous person thinks he has no need to change.
*6) The greatest danger: being a “respectable sinner”*
There are obvious sins that everybody can see.
But there are also hidden sins: pride, jealousy, resentment, unforgiveness, gossip, hypocrisy, superiority, judgmental attitudes, lack of compassion, spiritual pride.
A person may have a respectable appearance while carrying a wounded heart.
So Jesus turns the question toward us: “Am I the sinner who is changing, or the righteous person who refuses to change?”
*7) A beautiful paradox: Heaven is full of people who changed*
We sometimes imagine that the Kingdom of God is for people who never made mistakes.
The Gospel gives us another picture.
The Kingdom is filled with people who can say:
“I was lost, but I came back.”
“I fell, but God's grace lifted me.”
“I said No, but eventually I said Yes.”
Peter denied Jesus—but returned.
Paul persecuted Christians—but became an apostle.
Matthew was a tax collector—but became a disciple.
The thief on the cross had a criminal past—but turned toward Jesus and received mercy.
The Gospel is therefore not: “Only good people can enter Heaven.” It is: “People who allow God's grace to transform them can enter the Kingdom.”
*8) Points to Ponder*
*A) God does not ask, “What was your first answer?”* : He asks: “What is your answer now?” Your past may say No. Your present can say Yes. Therefore, never say: “I have gone too far from God.” As long as you can turn back, the road home is open.
*B) The Church is not a museum of saints; it is a hospital for sinners* : We don't come to church because we are perfect. We come because we need healing. The person sitting beside us may have a difficult past—but may be sincerely changing. Therefore: Don't judge a person's past when God is working on his or her present.
*C) The danger of saying “Yes” too easily* : The second son teaches us that religious words are not enough.
It is easy to say: “Yes, Father.” But God asks: “Where are your feet?”
It is easy to say: “I forgive.” But have I actually forgiven?
It is easy to say: “I love God.” But how do I treat the person whom I dislike?
It is easy to say: “Thy will be done.” But what happens when God's will is different from mine?
*D) God can write a beautiful last chapter* : Perhaps someone has wasted many years. Perhaps a person has made serious mistakes. Perhaps a family has broken down.Perhaps someone has lived far from God.
But the last chapter has not yet been written. Conversion can happen even late in life.
Therefore: Never write a person's final story while God is still writing it.
*E) “Sinners in Heaven” begins with “sinners who repent”*
The title can be provocative: “Sinners in Heaven!”
But the Gospel gives us the qualification: Not sinners who continue proudly in sin, but sinners who hear God's voice, repent and change.
The Kingdom is not a reward for perfect people.
It is the home of people who have allowed God's mercy to transform them.
*F) The question Jesus leaves us* : At the end of the Gospel, Jesus is not really asking us: “Are you the first son or the second son?”
He is asking something deeper: “What are you doing with the Father's invitation today?”
Because every morning God says: “My child, go and work in my vineyard.”
Perhaps yesterday we said No. Today we can still say: “Yes, Father.”
And the most important thing is not how loudly we say it, but whether we go.
The key is that Jesus is not praising sin. He is praising repentance, conversion and obedience.
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment