GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Twenty Second Week: Friday*
*Gospel : Luke 5: 33-39*
*First Reading : 1 Cor 4:1-5*
*Responsorial Psalm : 37: 3-6; 27-29; 39-40*
*The Problem of the Old Wineskin*
*1) What is an old wineskin?*
In the time of Jesus, wine was kept in animal-skin containers. New wine continued to ferment and expand. A new wineskin was flexible enough to stretch with the expanding wine. But an old wineskin had already become dry, hard and brittle. If new wine was poured into it, the fermentation could cause the skin to burst.
Jesus says: “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed.”
— Luke 5:37
The message is clear: New wine needs a new wineskin. A new work of God requires a renewed heart.
*2) What does the “old wineskin” represent?*
The old wineskin can represent a person who has become rigid, closed and unwilling to change.
A person may say:
“We have always done it this way.”
“This is how I learned it.”
“I don't want anything new.”
“My opinion is the only correct one.”
“I have nothing more to learn.”
“Why should I change?”
The danger is not being old in age or having traditions. The danger is becoming old in mind and heart.
An old wineskin says: “God must work according to my way.”
A renewed wineskin says: “Lord, show me Your way.”
*3) The greatest problem of the old wineskin is rigidity*
An old wineskin cannot stretch.
Similarly, a rigid person cannot easily accept: correction, new ideas, different people, changing circumstances, new responsibilities, God's unexpected plans, or even God's invitation to personal conversion.
Sometimes the problem is not that God is not giving us something new. The problem is that we have no space to receive it.
God may be offering new wine, but our heart may be saying: “There is no room for this.”
*4) Old wineskin can exist even in religious people*
The people questioning Jesus were concerned about fasting and religious practices. They were not necessarily bad people. They were religious people who were struggling to understand the newness Jesus was bringing.
This gives us a serious warning: It is possible to be religious but resistant to God's new work.
We can attend Mass, pray, read the Bible, participate in Church activities—and yet become inwardly rigid.
We may preserve religious practices while losing the spirit behind them.
Therefore, Jesus is not simply asking: “Are you religious?”
He is asking: “Is your heart still open to God?”
*5) The old wineskin of our personal life*
Sometimes our past experiences become our old wineskin. For example:
*Past failure*: “I failed once, so I will never succeed.”
*Past hurt*: “Someone hurt me, so I will never trust anyone again.”
*Past success*:“I have always done things this way, so I don't need to learn anything new.”
*Past conflict*:“I will never forgive that person.”
*Past image of ourselves*: “This is just who I am. I cannot change.”
But God can give us new wine—new possibilities, new relationships, new responsibilities, new grace and a new beginning.
The question is: Have we allowed our past to become so hard that there is no room for God's future?
*6) The old wineskin of family life*
Families also can become old wineskins.
A husband may say: “My father behaved this way, so I will behave this way.”
A wife may say: “This is how our family has always functioned.”
Parents may refuse to understand the changing world of their children.
Children may refuse the wisdom of their parents.
Sometimes family members keep repeating the same patterns of: anger, silence, criticism, comparison, unforgiveness, domination, and lack of communication.
God may be offering new wine—healing and reconciliation—but the old wineskin of pride prevents it.
A family needs the courage to say: “Let us begin again.”
*7) The old wineskin of spirituality*
Even our prayer life can become an old wineskin.
We may pray mechanically: same words, same routine, same attitude, without listening to God.
Prayer can become something we perform rather than an encounter with God.
Jesus invites us to rediscover the freshness of our relationship with Him.
The question is not merely: “How long have I been praying?” but: “Is my heart still alive before God?”
*8) New wine requires inner flexibility*
What does a new wineskin look like?
It is a heart that says: “Lord, I am willing to change.”
It is a person who can say: “I may be wrong.” “I can learn something new.” “I need forgiveness.” “I need to forgive.” “God may have a different plan.” “I will listen before judging.” “I will allow God to reshape me.”
This is spiritual flexibility.
*9) Points to Ponder*
Am I becoming an old wineskin? : Have I become too rigid to accept correction, change or God's new direction?
My past should be a teacher, not a prison : Our past has value. We should learn from it. But we should not allow yesterday to control tomorrow.
Sometimes God wants to change the container before filling it. We often pray: “Lord, give me something new.” But God may first be saying: “Let me make you new.”
New wine can be uncomfortable: New wine expands. Therefore, newness can create pressure.
“Lord, do not allow my heart to become an old wineskin. Renew my mind, soften my heart, enlarge my vision, and make me ready to receive the new wine of Your grace.”
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment