Thursday, August 6, 2026

Begin with What You Have – God Works Miracles

GOSPEL THOUGHTS

*Ordinary Season : Eighteenth Week:  Sunday*

*Gospel :  Mt 14:13-21*

*First Reading : Is 55:1-3*

*Responsorial Psalm : 145: 8-18*

*Romans 8: 35, 37-39*

*Begin with What You Have – God Works Miracles*

*1) The Disciples Saw the Problem; Jesus Saw the Possibility*

When the disciples looked at the crowd, they immediately focused on the shortage. "This is a deserted place... send the crowds away." (Mt 14:15)

Their eyes were fixed on: The large crowd. The lack of food. Their own limitations.

They complained, "We have only five loaves and two fish."

Jesus did not deny the shortage, but He refused to let the shortage become the final word.

How often do we begin our sentences with:

"I don't have enough money."
"I don't have enough time."
"I don't have enough education."
"I don't have enough support."

Complaining magnifies our problems. Faith magnifies God's power.

*2) Jesus Began with Thanksgiving, Not Complaining*

Jesus did something surprising. Before multiplying the bread, He thanked the Father.

He did not thank God after the miracle. He thanked God before the miracle.

Thanksgiving became the doorway through which the miracle entered.

Many of us say, "I will thank God after He answers my prayer."

Jesus teaches: Thank God before you see the answer.

Gratitude transforms scarcity into abundance because it acknowledges that God is already at work.

*3) A Boy Joyfully Gave What He Had*

The Gospel tells us there were five loaves and two fish. Another Gospel identifies them as belonging to a boy.

The miracle began because someone was willing to give.

The boy did not say, "It is too little."
"It won't make a difference."
"I should keep it for myself."

He simply offered what he had.

Five loaves in his hands were only a meal. Five loaves in Jesus' hands became food for thousands.

God is not asking whether what you have is big or small. He is asking, "Will you place it in My hands?"

*4) God Blesses What We Offer, Not What We Hide*

Many people bury their gifts because they think they are insignificant.

One encouraging word.
One smile.
One prayer.
One act of kindness.
One hour of service.
One small donation.

These seem too small. But God specializes in multiplying small offerings.

A seed is tiny. Yet it becomes a great tree.

*5) Begin Where You Are*

We often postpone serving God.

"I will begin when I have more money."
"I will volunteer after retirement."
"I will pray more when life becomes peaceful."

Jesus says,
Begin now.
Begin here.
Begin with what you have.

God does not expect us to give what we do not possess.
He asks us to be faithful with what He has already entrusted to us.

*6) Complaining Closes Doors; Offering Opens Them*

The disciples' response was: "There isn't enough."

Jesus' response was: "Bring them here to Me."

That is the difference between fear and faith.

Faith does not ignore limitations. Faith brings limitations to Christ.

Whenever we surrender our weakness to Him, He transforms it into a blessing.

*7) Our "Five Loaves and Two Fish" Today*

Our loaves and fish may be:

A listening ear for someone who is hurting.
A few minutes for prayer.
A talent for teaching, singing, or organizing.
A small financial contribution.
A kind word to someone who feels forgotten.
A forgiving heart.
A willingness to serve without recognition.

None of these may seem enough.
But in the hands of Jesus, they can nourish many lives.

*9) Application to Our Daily Life

Whenever you feel discouraged, ask yourself:

Am I focusing more on what I lack than on what God has given me?
Am I complaining about my limitations or thanking God for His blessings?
What "five loaves and two fish" has God already placed in my life?
Am I waiting for perfect conditions before serving God?
Have I placed my time, talents, and resources into Jesus' hands?

The greatest obstacle to miracles is often not our lack of resources but our habit of focusing on what is missing.

When we complain, we count our shortages. When we thank God, we discover His abundance. When we offer what we have, God multiplies it for the good of many.

"Do not wait until you have more. Begin with what you have, thank God for it, place it in His hands, and watch Him work miracles."

*Think about it*

*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*

*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Exchange Offer for the Soul

GOSPEL THOUGHTS *Ordinary Season : Eighteenth Week:  Friday* *Gospel : Mt 16: 24-28* *First Reading : Nahum 1:15; 2:2; 3:1-3, 6-7* *Responso...