GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Nineteenth Week: Thursday*
*Gospel : Mt 18: 21-19:1*
*First Reading : Ez 12:1-12*
*Responsorial Psalm : 78: 56-62*
*Counted Forgiveness - Forgiveness has no calculator.*
*1) Peter wants a number; Jesus gives a new logic*
Peter asks: “Lord, if another member of the church sins against me, how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?”
Seven already sounds generous. Peter may be thinking: “Surely there must be a limit!”
But Jesus answers: “Not seven times, but seventy-seven times.” (Mt 18:22)
The point is not that Jesus is replacing 7 with 77 as a larger mathematical limit.
Jesus is saying: Forgiveness is not meant to be counted.
Peter asks: “How many times?”
Jesus answers: “Do not live by counting.”
*2) Can forgiveness be counted?*
In a mathematical sense, perhaps we can count the occasions when we forgive.
But Christian forgiveness cannot be based on counting.
If I say:
“I forgave you once.”
“I forgave you twice.”
“This is the third time.”
“I have already forgiven you five times.”
“One more time, and I am finished.”
Then forgiveness has become an accounting system.
But God's forgiveness is not accounting in that sense.
The Christian question is not: “How many times have I forgiven this person?” but: “Am I still willing to forgive?”
Forgiveness is not a counter; it is a character.
*3) The logic of Jesus: Forgiveness received → Forgiveness given*
Jesus immediately tells the parable of the unforgiving servant.
A servant owes his master an enormous debt. The master forgives the entire debt.
But that same servant goes out and refuses to forgive a much smaller debt owed to him.
This exposes the central logic: I forgive because I have first been forgiven.
The servant forgets the mercy he received.
He remembers only the debt owed to him.
This is the tragedy of the human heart: We remember what others owe us more easily than what God has forgiven us.
The Gospel therefore invites us to make a spiritual calculation: Do not calculate how much another person owes you. Calculate how much mercy you yourself have received.
*4) The danger of “counted forgiveness”*
There are several dangers when forgiveness becomes something we count.
*A) Forgiveness becomes a transaction* : “I forgave you, so now you owe me.” That is not complete forgiveness. It is a transaction disguised as mercy.
*B) We keep an invisible record* : Sometimes we say: “I have forgiven.” But deep inside, we maintain a file: Date – Incident – Person – Hurt – Number of times forgiven. The mouth says, “I forgive you.” The heart says, “But I haven't forgotten what you did.” Forgiveness does not mean forgetting the event, but it means refusing to keep the injury as a weapon against the person.
*C) We create a forgiveness limit* : “If he does it again, I won't forgive.” This makes our forgiveness conditional. Jesus invites us toward a forgiveness that does not operate according to a numerical limit.
*D) We begin to see the person only through the offence* : This is especially dangerous. We say: “He lied to me.” and gradually it becomes: “He is a liar.” We say: “She hurt me.” and it becomes: “She is a bad person.” One action becomes the identity of the person. Forgiveness allows us to say: “What you did was wrong, but you are more than the wrong you committed.”
*E) We become prisoners of the past* : When we keep counting offences, we continue to carry them. The person who hurt us may have moved on. But we keep replaying the incident. Thus: The offender may have left the prison, but we remain inside the prison of resentment. Forgiveness opens the door.
*5) The deepest question: What do I remember?*
The unforgiving servant remembered: “He owes me.” But he forgot: “My master forgave me.”
This is perhaps the central spiritual lesson.
When someone hurts us, we remember their offence.
Jesus asks us to remember something greater: “How much has God forgiven me?”
The more deeply I experience God's mercy, the less comfortable I become with withholding mercy from others.
*6) A simple reflection for our daily life*
Before saying: “I have forgiven this person many times.” pause and ask: How many times has God forgiven me?
Before saying: “This person does not deserve forgiveness.” ask: Did I deserve all the mercy I have received from God?
Before saying: “I will never forgive.” ask: Do I want God to treat me according to everything I have done, or according to His mercy?
That can change the whole meaning of forgiveness.
Forgiveness has no calculator. If I count, I am still keeping an account.
If I forgive from the heart, I begin to resemble the God who has forgiven me.
Peter asks: “How many times?”
Jesus responds, in effect: “Stop counting. Start becoming merciful.”
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment