Saturday, August 15, 2026

Eunuch for the Kingdom

GOSPEL THOUGHTS

*Ordinary Season : Nineteenth Week: Friday*

*Gospel :   Mt 19: 3-12*

*First Reading : Ez 16:1-15; 60; 63*

*Responsorial Psalm : Is 12: 2-6*

*Eunuch for the Kingdom*

*1) What does “eunuch” mean here?*

In the biblical world, a “eunuch” could refer literally to a person who was physically incapable of sexual relations or, more broadly, to someone who did not marry.

Jesus mentions three situations:

Those who were eunuchs from birth.
Those who were made eunuchs by others.
Those who freely chose celibacy for the Kingdom of Heaven.

The third category is especially important for Christian vocation.

It means: “I give up something good—not because marriage is bad, but because I have been called to give myself in another way for God's Kingdom.”

This can be seen particularly in the vocation of priests, religious men and women, and others who freely embrace celibacy for Christ. But there is also a broader spiritual meaning that can touch every Christian.

*2) “Eunuch for the Kingdom” is not primarily about the body*

Jesus is speaking about what occupies the centre of our heart.

A person can be unmarried and still not be “a eunuch for the Kingdom” if his or her heart is completely occupied by selfishness, pleasure, money, power or personal ambition.

And a married person can live the spirit of total self-giving beautifully.

Therefore, we should distinguish: Physical celibacy ≠ automatically Kingdom-centered living.

The deeper question is: What have I given myself to?

A Kingdom person says: “My life is not only for myself. My life belongs to God and is available for others.”

*3) Every vocation has a “Kingdom eunuch” dimension*

The literal vocation of celibacy belongs especially to those called to it.

But the spiritual principle of undivided self-giving applies to everyone.

*For a married couple* : Marriage itself is a vocation of self-giving. A husband says: “My life is no longer only mine.” A wife says: “My life is given for my spouse and family.” Their “Kingdom” expression is: I give up my selfish freedom so that another person may flourish.

Marriage teaches us: Love means surrendering the right to live only for myself.

*For parents* : Parents constantly become “eunuchs” in the spiritual sense. They give up: sleep, comfort, money, personal, ambitions, free time, sometimes even career opportunities, for the sake of their children.

A mother who wakes at night for her child is saying: “My comfort is not the centre of my life.”
A father who sacrifices his desires for his children's education is saying:
“Their good matters more than my convenience.” This is Kingdom self-giving.

*For priests and religious* : Here the passage has a particularly direct application. Celibacy becomes a prophetic sign: “God is enough.” 

The priest/religious person gives up exclusive family relationships in order to become more available to God's people.
But celibacy must produce greater love, not emotional distance.
If celibacy produces selfishness, loneliness without love, possessiveness or lack of pastoral availability, something has gone wrong.

Celibacy without charity becomes merely renunciation. Celibacy with charity becomes a Kingdom witness.

*4) Becoming a “eunuch” of the eyes*

Jesus' teaching can be applied to the way we look at others.

Sometimes our eyes say: “What can I get from this person?”
Kingdom eyes ask: “What can I give this person?”
The transformation is: from possession → appreciation, from exploitation → respect, from lust → love, from using people → serving people

A Kingdom person learns to see another human being not as an object of desire but as a person created in God's image.

*5) Becoming a “eunuch” of the tongue*

We may need to become “eunuchs” with our words.

There are things we must learn not to say: gossip, insults, destructive criticism, unnecessary arguments, humiliating remarks, spreading rumours.

Sometimes holiness means: “I have the power to say it, but I choose not to say it.”
That is self-mastery.

*6) Becoming a “eunuch” of anger*

We don't have to express every emotion we experience.
I may be angry—but I don't have to destroy someone.
I may be hurt—but I don't have to take revenge.
I may have the opportunity to retaliate—but I can choose mercy.

Therefore: Kingdom maturity is not doing everything I feel like doing.
It is learning to say: “My feelings are real, but they do not have to rule me.”

*7) Becoming a “eunuch” of possessions*

Jesus' teaching also challenges our relationship with material things.
A person can become possessed by possessions.

The question is not: “How much do I have?” but: “How much does what I have possess me?”
Kingdom freedom means: I can possess things without allowing things to possess me.
Money becomes a servant rather than a master.

*8) Becoming a “eunuch” of ego*

Perhaps this is the most difficult one.
We all have an inner desire: “Notice me.” “Praise me.” “Appreciate me.” “Give me importance.” “Listen to me.”
Jesus invites us to surrender the need to be the centre.
Sometimes Kingdom life means allowing someone else to receive the credit.
Sometimes it means serving without recognition.

Sometimes it means saying: “I don't need everyone to know what I have done.”
This is a beautiful form of spiritual freedom.

*9) Becoming a “eunuch” of time*

Our time is one of our greatest possessions.

We can ask: “What percentage of my time belongs to God and others?”
A Kingdom person learns to make time for: prayer, family, the lonely, the elderly, children, the poor, the sick, parish community, those who need listening.

Sometimes love means giving someone twenty minutes of our time when we would rather scroll through our phone.
That is also Kingdom self-denial.

*10) “Eunuch” means learning the freedom of “No”*

This may be one of the strongest reflections.

The world teaches: “I am free when I can say YES to everything I want.”

Jesus teaches a deeper freedom: “I am free when I am able to say NO to what destroys love.”

No to lust. 
No to revenge.
No to greed.
No to gossip.
No to hatred.
No to selfishness.
No to addiction.
No to unnecessary luxury.
No to ego.

Why?

Because every holy NO creates space for a greater YES.

No to selfishness → Yes to love.
No to greed → Yes to generosity.
No to lust → Yes to respect.
No to revenge → Yes to forgiveness.
No to ego → Yes to humility.
No to comfort → Yes to service.

*11) How do we become “eunuchs for the Kingdom”?*

Not by physically harming ourselves.
Not by hating our bodies.
Not by rejecting marriage.
Not by suppressing our humanity.
Rather, by learning self-mastery and self-giving.

We can ask ourselves each day:

What must I let go of? Something that is preventing me from loving.
What must I control? An appetite, emotion, habit or desire that controls me.
What must I give? My time, talent, money, attention or compassion.
Whom must I serve? Someone who cannot repay me.
What must become secondary? Something that has taken God's place in my life.
What must become primary? God's Kingdom and love of neighbour.


*Think about it*

*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*

*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Theology of the Crumbs

GOSPEL THOUGHTS *Ordinary Season : Twentieth Week:  Sunday* *Gospel :  Mt 15:21-28* *First Reading : Is 56: 1, 6-7* *Responsorial Psalm : 67...