GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Twenty Sixth Week: Wednesday*
*Gospel : Luke 9:57-62*
*First Reading : Job 9: 1-12; 14-16*
*Responsorial Psalm : 88: 10-15*
*Danger of Looking back While Ploughing*
*1) Why does Jesus use the image of a plough?*
In the time of Jesus, ploughing was done by guiding an animal or animals through the soil. The person holding the plough needed to keep his eyes fixed ahead to make a straight furrow.
If he continually looked behind, the furrow could become crooked.
So Jesus takes an ordinary agricultural experience and gives it a spiritual meaning: If you want to move forward, you must know where you are going.
The plough becomes a symbol of commitment.
Once the farmer begins ploughing, he cannot constantly turn around and check what he has left behind.
Likewise, once we genuinely say “Yes” to Christ, we are called to move forward with trust.
*2) The context of Luke 9:57–62*
It is important that Jesus' statement comes after three people express their desire to follow Him.
One says: “I will follow you wherever you go.”
Another says: “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”
Another says: “I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home.”
Notice the repeated word: *First*
“First, let me go and bury my father"
"First say farewell to those at my Home"
Jesus is exposing the danger of divided priorities.
They are interested in following Jesus, but something else continues to demand first place.
Therefore, the plough image means: Discipleship requires a direction and a decision.
*3) “Looking back” can mean living in the past*
Some people are physically moving forward but emotionally living in yesterday.
They constantly say:
“Those were the best days.”
“If only I had taken that opportunity.”
“If only I had married someone else.”
“If only I had chosen another career.”
“If only I had not made that mistake.”
“If only my family were as it was before.”
The problem is not remembering.
The problem is allowing “if only” to control our present.
A beautiful principle: We cannot plough tomorrow's field while constantly looking at yesterday's field.
*4) The rear-view mirror of life*
A modern way of understanding this Gospel is through the rear-view mirror of a car. The rear-view mirror is useful. We need to know what is behind us.
But imagine driving a car while staring continuously into the rear-view mirror. Sooner or later, we will lose control.
Our life is similar. The past is our rear-view mirror, not our windshield.
Look back occasionally. Learn. Correct yourself. Give thanks.
But keep your eyes on the road ahead.
*5) Looking back at our failures*
Sometimes the greatest obstacle to our future is not our failure itself but our inability to forgive ourselves.
A person may say: “I made a terrible mistake. Therefore, I can never become a good person again.”
But Christianity is a religion of new beginnings.
Peter denied Jesus, but Jesus gave him another opportunity.
Paul persecuted the Church, but God gave him a mission.
Therefore: Your past may explain you, but it does not have to define you.
We should not allow yesterday's failure to become today's identity.
*6) Looking back at our successes*
Interestingly, we can also look backward at our successes.
A person may say:
“I was once important.”
“I once had that position.”
“People once respected me.”
“Our family was once very successful.”
Then we become unable to accept the new stage of life.
This happens especially when people experience:
retirement,
transfer,
change of responsibility,
loss of position,
ageing,
change in ministry,
change in family circumstances.
We may keep asking: “Why is life not the way it was before?”
Jesus tells us: There is still a field in front of you to plough.
*7) Looking back at relationships*
Another form of looking back is emotional attachment to people or relationships from the past.
Some relationships have ended, but the person continues to live mentally inside them.
Sometimes forgiveness is needed.
Sometimes acceptance is needed.
Sometimes we need to say: “Thank you for what you meant in my life. I now place you in God's hands and continue my journey.”
Moving forward does not mean that we stop loving people.
It means that we stop allowing the past to prevent us from living the present.
*8) The Phrase : “Let me first…”*
The phrase “Let me first…” is especially relevant to modern life.
How often do we say:
“First I will become successful; then I will pray.”
“First I will make money; then I will serve.”
“First I will settle everything; then I will give time to God.”
“First I will enjoy my life; later I will become serious about faith.”
The danger is that “later” can become “never.”
Jesus asks us to put God at the centre now, not merely someday.
*9) loughing requires concentration*
A farmer cannot plough properly while being distracted by everything around him.
This has a strong application to the modern world.
We live in an age of: notifications, WhatsApp messages, Instagram, YouTube, endless news, constant entertainment, multiple distractions. Our attention is continuously pulled in different directions.
Jesus' image reminds us: A distracted disciple cannot make a straight furrow.
We need moments of silence, prayer and concentration to know where God is leading us.
*10) loughing is difficult*
Jesus does not say: “Whoever puts his hand on the plough and finds the soil easy…”
He says: “Whoever puts his hand to the plough…”
Ploughing involves hard soil.
Sometimes the soil contains stones.
Sometimes the farmer becomes tired.
Sometimes the weather is unfavourable.
Yet he continues. This is a powerful image of Christian perseverance.
In our lives:
Marriage may become difficult.
Priestly ministry may become difficult.
Religious life may become difficult.
Parenting may become difficult.
Forgiving someone may become difficult.
Serving the poor may become difficult.
But difficulty does not automatically mean: “I must abandon the plough.”
Sometimes God asks us to continue ploughing the difficult soil.
*11) “The furrow” of our own vocation*
Every person has a particular field.
A priest has his field.
A parent has his field.
A teacher has his field.
A doctor has his field.
A young person has his field.
A retired person has his field.
We sometimes lose peace because we keep comparing our furrow with somebody else's furrow.
The farmer beside me may have a bigger field.
But my responsibility is not his field.
My question is: “Am I faithfully ploughing the field God has entrusted to me?”
*12) The past can teach us—but should not imprison us*
Look back for wisdom, but look forward with hope.
We should look back to say: “Thank you, Lord.” “Forgive me, Lord.” “Teach me, Lord.”
But we should look forward and say: “Lead me, Lord.”
There is a difference between remembering the past and living in the past.
*13) Three questions*
Where is my hand? Is it still on the plough?
Where are my eyes? Are they looking toward Christ or constantly toward the past?
Where is my heart? Is it divided between yesterday and God's call today?
“The Christian journey requires a hand on the plough, eyes on the path, and a heart that trusts God with the future.”
“Do not allow yesterday to pull you backward when God is calling you forward.”
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment