Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The Human Need of Becoming Great

GOSPEL THOUGHTS

*Ordinary Season : Twenty Sixth Week:  Thursday*

*Gospel :  Mt 18:1-5*

*First Reading : Is 66: 10-14*

*Responsorial Psalm : 131: 1-3*

*The Human Need of Becoming Great*

*1) The desire to become great is natural*

From childhood, we want to become something: 
The best student,
The best player,
The successful professional,
A respected leader,
A person whom others recognize.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to grow and do something meaningful.
The problem begins when greatness means being above others.

Jesus does not say, “Do not become great.” He teaches us what true greatness means.
Ask yourself: “Do I want to become great so that I can serve more people, or so that more people will serve me?”

*2) Jesus changes the meaning of greatness*

The disciples are thinking about position. Jesus speaks about attitude.
They ask: “Who is greatest?”
Jesus places a child among them.

The message is striking: Greatness in God's Kingdom is not measured by how many people are below me, but by how many people I am willing to lift up.
A person may have a high position but a low heart. Another may have a small position but a great heart.

*3) Humility is the doorway to greatness*

Jesus says: “Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.” (Mt 18:4) Notice the words “humbles himself.”

Christian humility does not mean saying, “I am useless.” True humility means: “I know that everything I have is a gift, and I am willing to use it for others.” The more gifts we receive, the greater our responsibility to serve.
A beautiful principle: Great gifts + great position + great responsibility = great service.

*4) Greatness begins with knowing our dependence on God*

A little child knows that he or she needs parents.
Likewise, the spiritually mature person knows: “I need God.”

Sometimes our achievements make us forget God.
We say: “I built this.” “I achieved this.” “I became successful.”
But humility says: “God gave me the ability, people helped me, and I must use what I have received for His glory and the good of others.”

*5) Greatness is measured by service*

Jesus will later give the same principle in another form: “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant.” (Mt 20:26)

Therefore, a mother serving her children, a father working for his family, a teacher educating students, a priest serving his people, a doctor caring for patients, or a person quietly helping the poor can be great in God's eyes.
The world may not applaud them. God sees the service.

*6) Greatness means making others feel important*

A truly great person does not constantly ask: “How important am I?” Instead: “How important can I make the other person feel?”
A great person listens to the person whom everyone ignores.
A great person gives dignity to the poor.
A great person encourages someone who has failed.
A great person gives another person an opportunity to grow.

If my presence makes others feel small, my greatness is only an illusion. If my presence helps others become great, I am beginning to understand Jesus' teaching.

*7) Do not compete with others; compete with your former self*

The disciples were comparing themselves with one another.

We can fall into the same trap:
Who has more money?
Who has a better position?
Whose children are more successful?
Who receives more recognition?
Who has more followers?
Who is more respected?

Jesus offers another way: Do not measure your life by comparing yourself with another person. Measure it by how much you have grown in love, humility and service.

Yesterday I was impatient; today I am more patient.
Yesterday I was selfish; today I am more generous.
Yesterday I could not forgive; today I can forgive.
That is real growth.

*8) The greatest person may be the one whom nobody notices*

Jesus chooses a child—someone without power, wealth or social status.
This tells us something beautiful: Heaven's greatness and the world's greatness are not always the same.

Someone may never appear in newspapers, never receive an award and never occupy an important position, yet may be very great before God because of a life of love and sacrifice.

A grandmother praying quietly for her family may be great before God.
A person caring for a sick parent may be great before God.
Someone forgiving another person may be great before God.
Someone helping a poor family secretly may be great before God.

*9) How can I become great in the Kingdom of Heaven?*

We can turn Jesus' teaching into five practical steps:

*A) Give God the first place* : Recognize that our talents, opportunities and life itself are gifts.

*B) Respect every person* : Especially those whom society considers small or unimportant.

*C) Encourage others* : Use our abilities to help others grow rather than to make ourselves look superior.

*D) Accept the role of a servant* : Do small things without always expecting recognition.

*E) Trust God like a child* : Depend on God, remain teachable and place our future in His hands.

GREATNESS = HUMILITY + SERVICE + LOVE + TRUST IN GOD

*10) Points to Ponder* 

Person A: “I want to become great so that everyone will know me.”
Person B: “I want to become great so that I can do something good for others.”

Both want greatness. But their understanding of greatness is completely different.

The first asks: “How many people know me?”
The second asks: “How many people have been helped because of me?”
That is the transformation Jesus wants to make in us.

The world measures greatness by position, possessions, power and recognition. Jesus measures greatness by humility, love, service and our willingness to become small for the sake of others.

“When I become more important, do other people become smaller—or do they become greater because of me?”

*Think about it*

*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*

*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Human Need of Becoming Great

GOSPEL THOUGHTS *Ordinary Season : Twenty Sixth Week:  Thursday* *Gospel :  Mt 18:1-5* *First Reading : Is 66: 10-14* *Responsorial Psalm : ...