GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Twenty Third Week: Wednesday*
*Gospel : Luke 6:20-26*
*First Reading : 1 Cor 7:25-31*
*Responsorial Psalm : 45:11-17*
*Laugh and Cry in Beatitude*
*1) Jesus is not condemning laughter*
Jesus is not against joy, celebration, happiness or laughter. The Bible itself speaks about rejoicing.
The problem is not laughing; the problem is a life that seeks pleasure while ignoring suffering, sin, injustice and God.
Likewise, Jesus is not saying that every person who suffers automatically becomes blessed.
The question is: What is the reason for my tears, and what is the foundation of my joy?
*2) “Blessed are you who weep now”*
*A) The tears of those who suffer*
Some people weep because life is difficult—poverty, rejection, loneliness, persecution, sickness, loss and injustice.
Jesus tells them: “Your tears are not invisible to God.”
The world may overlook your suffering, but God does not.
The Beatitude therefore gives hope to the suffering person:
your present pain is not the final chapter of your life.
*B). The tears of repentance*
There is another kind of blessed weeping: tears over our sins.
A person who can say, “Lord, I have hurt You. I have hurt others. I need to change.” is spiritually alive.
Sometimes we are more worried about losing money than losing our relationship with God.
We cry when our phone breaks.
We cry when we lose a job.
We cry when someone insults us.
But do we ever cry because our relationship with God has become weak? That is a deeper kind of weeping.
*C). The tears of compassion*
Jesus also blesses those who weep with others. A compassionate person cannot remain indifferent when another person suffers.
There are people who say: “It is not my problem.”
But Christian love says: “Your pain is also my concern.”
The tears of a mother for her child, a priest for his people, a parent for a wayward son or daughter, or a Christian who grieves over injustice can become tears of love.
*3) “Woe to you who laugh now”*
He is warning those who have made comfort, pleasure and entertainment the purpose of life.
Imagine someone who sees a poor person suffering and says: “I don't want to think about such things. I just want to enjoy my life.”
Jesus challenges that attitude. The problem is: “I am comfortable, therefore I don't care about anyone else.” Such laughter can become the laughter of indifference.
*4) two kinds of laughter*
There is a beautiful contrast here:
The laughter of selfishness. “I have everything. I don't care about others.”
The laughter of Christian joy “God has blessed me, so I want to share my blessings with others.”
The first laughter can become empty. The second laughter becomes joy.
Therefore, Jesus is not asking us to stop laughing. He is asking us: “What makes you happy?”
If my happiness comes from possessing, controlling, entertaining myself and ignoring others, I need conversion.
If my happiness comes from God, love, service, generosity and communion, that is the joy of the Gospel.
*5) “What makes me cry?”*
Ask yourself: What makes me cry?
I cry when I lose money.
I cry when someone insults me.
I cry when my plans fail.
I cry when someone does not appreciate me.
But:
Do I cry when my prayer life becomes weak?
Do I cry when my family is divided?
Do I cry when someone is suffering?
Do I cry when I see injustice?
Do I cry over my own sins?
Do I cry when young people lose their faith?
Our tears reveal what we truly value.
*6) “What makes me laugh?”*
Jesus also asks us to examine our laughter.
What gives me joy?
Is it money?
Popularity?
Power?
Possessions?
Entertainment?
Success?
Or:
Prayer?
Family?
Service?
Helping someone?
Forgiving someone?
Seeing someone return to God?
Our happiness reveals the direction of our heart.
“The Gospel does not promise a life without tears; it promises that our tears will not be wasted.”
“Do not be afraid of today's tears; be afraid of a happiness that has no room for God, compassion or eternity.”
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment