Monday, September 21, 2026

The Mouth Is the Window of the Heart

GOSPEL THOUGHTS

*Ordinary Season : Twenty Third Week:  Saturday*

*Gospel :  Luke 6:43-49*

*First Reading : 1 Cor 10:14-22*

*Responsorial Psalm : 116: 12-18*

*The Mouth Is the Window of the Heart*

*1) The Logic of the Heart*

Jesus says: “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Lk 6:45)

A grateful heart produces words of thanksgiving.
A loving heart produces words of encouragement.
A peaceful heart produces words of reconciliation.
A bitter heart produces complaints and criticism.
A proud heart produces boasting.
A jealous heart produces gossip and comparison.
An angry heart produces insults and hurtful words.

The mouth is often the microphone of the heart.

*2) The Connection Between the Heart and the Mouth*

In the biblical understanding, the heart is the centre of the person—our thoughts, desires, intentions, attitudes and choices.
Therefore, there is a movement: Heart → Thoughts → Words → Actions → Life
What we repeatedly think and nurture in our heart eventually finds expression through our speech and behaviour.

That is why Jesus does not merely say, “Control your mouth.” He goes deeper: “Change your heart.”
We can control our words for a while, but eventually what is inside tends to come out. A clean mouth needs a clean heart.

*3) The Mouth Can Build or Destroy*

Our mouth is a small part of the body, but it has enormous power.

*One sentence can*:
give courage to a discouraged person,
heal a wounded relationship,
restore someone's dignity,
destroy someone's reputation,
break a child's confidence,
create division in a family,
or bring peace to a community.

Therefore, before speaking, we can ask: “What is my heart carrying at this moment?”
Sometimes the problem is not really the words. The words are only symptoms; the heart is the source.

*4) “Good Tree – Good Fruit”*

Jesus says: “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit.” The fruit reveals the tree.

In the same way: Our words reveal our inner life.
If the same kind of negative words repeatedly come from us—gossip, anger, criticism, sarcasm, humiliation—we need to look not only at our tongue but at our heart.

The question is not merely: “What did I say?” But: “What is happening inside me that made me say it?”

*5) The Mouth Can Become a “Heart Test”*

Our speech can become a kind of spiritual thermometer.

Listen to yourself:
What do I talk about most?
Whom do I frequently criticize?
How do I speak about people who are absent?
What happens to my speech when I am angry?
Do my words give hope or take away hope?
Do I speak differently to powerful people and weak people?
Can I say sorry?
Can I appreciate others?
Can I remain silent when silence is better?

Sometimes our own words reveal things about us that we do not want to see.

*6) Gossip Is Often a Heart Problem*

We may say, “I have a problem with my tongue.” But Jesus invites us to ask whether there is something deeper: Why do I enjoy speaking about another person's weakness?

Gossip may come from: jealousy, insecurity, resentment, superiority, the desire for attention, or the pleasure of seeing another person fall.

Therefore, the remedy is not simply “speak less.” The deeper remedy is: Heal the heart from jealousy, resentment and pride.

*7) The Mouth and the Home*

This Gospel is especially applicable to family life. 
 
A house can be beautiful, but if the language inside the house is constantly: “You are useless.” “You never do anything right.” “I don't care.” “You always…” “You never…” then the house may become emotionally unsafe.

On the other hand, simple words can transform a home: “Thank you.” “I am sorry.” “I believe in you.” “Don't worry; I am with you.” “Let us solve this together.” “I forgive you.” Sometimes the greatest renovation needed in a home is not on the walls but in the words.

*8) Jesus Connects Speech with Action*

Luke 6:46 says: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I tell you?” Jesus moves from mouth to life.
It is possible to have beautiful religious words but poor Christian behaviour.

We can say: “Lord, Lord…” but fail to forgive.
We can speak about love but practise hatred.
We can speak about compassion but ignore the suffering person.
We can speak about faith but refuse to change our life.

Therefore: Christianity is not only what comes out of our mouth; it is what comes out of our life.

“If my words are the fruit, what do they reveal about the tree of my heart?”
Don't merely wash the mouth—heal the heart.

*Think about it*

*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*

*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Perplexed Powerful Herod

GOSPEL THOUGHTS *Ordinary Season : Twenty Fifth Week:  Thursday* *Gospel :  Luke 9: 7-9* *First Reading : Ecclesiastes 1:2-11* *Responsorial...