GOSPEL THOUGHTS
*Ordinary Season : Twenty Fourth Week: Sunday*
*Gospel : Mt 18: 21-35*
*First Reading : Sirach 27:30-28:7*
*Responsorial Psalm : 102: 1-12*
*Second Reading : Romans 14:7-9*
*The Question of Rs 100 : When a small debt becomes bigger than God's great mercy*
*1) The Great Debt and the Small Debt :*
In Jesus' parable, the servant owes the King an enormous amount—ten thousand talents. It is beyond his capacity to repay.
Then, immediately, we encounter another servant who owes him a tiny amount—one hundred denarii.
The contrast is shocking: A huge debt was forgiven. A small debt was demanded.
The servant had received mercy in abundance, but he could not become merciful.
This is the tragedy Jesus wants us to see: We can receive God's mercy without allowing God's mercy to change us.
*2) The “₹100 Question”*
Imagine someone comes to us saying: “You owe me ₹100. Pay me immediately!”
And we become angry, fight, insult one another and perhaps even take the matter to court.
But suppose that same person has previously forgiven us a debt of ₹1 crore.
Then the question becomes: How can I be so strict about ₹100 after receiving forgiveness for ₹1 crore?
This is precisely the spiritual mathematics of Jesus' parable.
Our ₹100 represents:
a small insult,
a harsh word,
an unpleasant comment,
an old argument,
a family disagreement,
somebody who did not greet us,
somebody who did not invite us,
somebody who hurt our pride,
a small financial dispute,
a mistake somebody made against us.
The amount may be small. But our ego can make ₹100 bigger than ₹1 crore.
*3) God Is the King — I Am the Servant*
The first important spiritual truth is: God is the King. I am the servant.
The servant does not stand before the King as a creditor. He stands as a debtor.
This changes our entire understanding of life. Sometimes we behave as though: “God owes me.”
But Jesus reminds us: I am the debtor. God is the merciful King.
Everything begins with what God has already given us: life, family, health, opportunities, forgiveness, faith, Eucharist, the Sacraments, countless second chances.
We are standing before God not as people who have perfectly paid their bills, but as people who have received immeasurable mercy.
*4) The Confessional: Where We Admit the “Crores”*
This becomes especially powerful when applied to Confession. When we go to Confession, we stand before God with our spiritual debt.
We say, in effect: “Lord, I have failed You. I have sinned. I have hurt others. I have neglected You. I have fallen again and again.”
And what does God do? He does not say: “First pay everything back.” He says: “I forgive you.” The debt is cancelled. The account is cleared. The sinner walks out free.
But then comes the test. We meet somebody who owes us our ₹100.
And suddenly we say: “I will never forgive you!”
That is the contradiction Jesus exposes. I ask God for mercy for my Crores, but I demand justice from another person for my ₹100.
*5) Confession Is Not Complete Until Mercy Continues*
The mercy I receive from God must become the mercy I give to others.
Otherwise, Confession becomes only an experience of receiving forgiveness, not becoming forgiving.
We cannot say: “God, forgive me everything.” and simultaneously say: “But Lord, this person—I will never forgive.”
The Gospel asks: “If you have received mercy, where is your mercy?”
*6) The ₹100 Can Become More Important Than Heaven*
The servant's tragedy is not merely that he refused to forgive. His greater tragedy is that he allowed a small debt to destroy the mercy he had already received.
He had received a fortune in forgiveness. But he lost everything because of a small debt.
This gives us a frightening spiritual lesson: A small unresolved hatred can have enormous spiritual consequences.
Sometimes we say: “It is only a small matter.” Yes—but the matter may be small while the resentment is enormous.
The wound may be ₹100. But the hatred can become ₹1 crore.
*7) Small Issues Can End in a Big Prison*
The servant finally ends up in prison. This is one of the most beautiful psychological insights in the parable.
He wanted to imprison another person, but finally he himself became a prisoner.
That is exactly what unforgiveness does.
We think: “I am punishing that person by refusing to forgive.” But often we are the ones imprisoned.
The prison of: anger, resentment, revenge, bitterness, sleeplessness, constant remembering, repeated complaining, broken relationships.
The person who hurt us may have gone on with life. But we continue carrying the person inside our heart.
The ₹100 becomes our prison.
*8) The ₹100 Becomes Bigger Because of Ego*
Why couldn't the servant forgive? Perhaps because of ego. The amount itself was small.
But the servant's attitude was: “You owe me. Therefore you must bow before me.”
Forgiveness requires us to surrender our position of superiority.
Sometimes we don't want money. We want victory.
We don't want repayment. We want the other person to say: “You were right. I was wrong.”
Sometimes we don't want justice. We want revenge.
Therefore the real debt may not be ₹100. The real debt is our wounded ego.
*9) The “₹100 Calculator” in Our Heart*
Many people carry an invisible calculator.
It keeps calculating: “He said this.” “She did that.” “He didn't come.” “She didn't call.” “They didn't invite me.” “He owes me.” “She hurt me.”
But when God asks us to calculate our own sins, we suddenly say: “Lord, please don't calculate!”
Jesus turns the calculator around. **Stop calculating what others owe you.
Start remembering what God has forgiven you.**
*10) Mercy Has a Memory Too*
We often remember the wrongs done to us but forget the mercies received from God.
The servant remembered: “He owes me.” But he forgot: “I was forgiven.”
That is the fundamental problem.
We remember injuries more easily than blessings.
Therefore, before saying: “I will never forgive him,” we should say: “Let me remember how many times God has forgiven me.”
*11) The Biggest Spiritual Bankruptcy*
The servant was financially a debtor. But later he became spiritually bankrupt.
This is the paradox:
**He was forgiven because he was unable to pay. He was condemned because he was unwilling to forgive.**
The first debt was beyond his capacity. The second debt was within his capacity.
He could have forgiven it. And this is precisely what makes the parable so challenging.
*12) The “Mercy Account”*
Imagine that God gives every person a spiritual account.
Every morning we receive: ₹1 crore of mercy.
Then during the day somebody takes: ₹100 of our patience. Somebody irritates us. Somebody insults us. Somebody disappoints us.
And we say: “I cannot forgive!” Jesus asks: “After receiving ₹1 crore of mercy, will you fight over ₹100?”
*13) The Most Expensive ₹100*
The ₹100 itself is cheap. But what can it cost?
It can cost: a friendship, a marriage, a family relationship, peace of mind, a parish relationship, a community, a relationship with God.
Therefore: ₹100 can be cheap financially but extremely expensive spiritually.
*14) Don't Lose a Crore Because of ₹100*
“Don't lose a crore because of ₹100.”
Or spiritually: “Don't lose God's great mercy because of someone's small mistake.”
And another: “Don't allow a ₹100 problem to become a ₹1 crore problem in your heart.”
*15) A Beautiful Examination of Conscience*
Before receiving the Eucharist or going to Confession, we can ask ourselves:
*My ₹1 Crore*
What has God forgiven me?
What second chances have I received?
How many times has God been patient with me?
*My ₹100*
Who owes me something?
Whose words am I still carrying?
Who hurt my ego?
Whom have I refused to forgive?
*My Prison* : What person or incident is keeping me spiritually imprisoned?
*My Decision* : “Lord, because You have forgiven me so much, help me forgive this small debt.”
*16) At the Final Judgement*
Imagine standing before God at the end of life.
God says: “I forgave you your Crores.”
And we say: “Yes, Lord.”
Then God asks: “What did you do with the ₹100 your brother owed you?”
That is the question of Matthew 18. Not: “How much did they owe you?”
But: “What did you do with the mercy you received?”
Remember that we have already received mercy worth far more than anything another person could owe us.
*Think about it*
*God bless you and your family. Praying for you and your dear ones*
*Fr Maxim DSouza*
*Jeppu Seminary*
*Mangalore*
No comments:
Post a Comment